Friday, September 30, 2016

Foodie Friday: School-Morning Breakfasts

I slept in this morning.  I really, really slept in!  I am sitting here at a little after 8:30 in my robe and pjs, with my morning coffee and a biscuit.  I have been in almost constant motion for about a week, getting up early, going to bed late and I think if finally caught up with me.  Which is kind of amusing as today I am writing about delicious breakfasts first thing in the morning!

At the beginning of this school year, one of my goals was to have breakfast ready for my children most mornings.  Yes, some days, this includes cereal or bagels; but even then, I usually try to have those items set out on the table for when the kids come down in the morning.  Many days, I try to have a yummy, home-made, filled-with-love kind of breakfast such as muffins, pancakes, quiche, scones, etc.  These breakfasts mean planning ahead and early mornings.

On school mornings, I am up at 5:00.  (We do four-day school weeks with a homeschool co-op on every other Friday.  Today is neither a school or co-op day, hence the luxury of sleeping in.)  This is the time I can get last minute breakfast prep done and read my Bible in the rare-quietness of my home.  Usually, I figure out what I want to make for breakfast a day or two ahead of time and get as much of the recipe together the night before.  Pancake batter is mixed and refrigerated, muffin batter is mixed, put in muffin cups and refrigerated, biscuits and scones have the dry ingredients together the night before so I can just add wet ingredients, roll and cut the morning of.  Yes, I could bake everything ahead of time, but there is just something about fresh-from-the-oven.  Don't you agree?

Today, I share two of the breakfasts we enjoyed this week:  Blueberry Croissant Puff and Biscuits with Pumpkin Butter.

One of the reasons I like baking things early in the morning, is so that it's ready for my farmer-husband when he gets up.

Blueberry Croissant Puff

This is a recipe which actually needs to refrigerate overnight, so planning ahead is essential.  It hardly takes any time at all - which is one of my top requirements for most recipes - and most of my family loved it!  (I got an "it was ok" from my 11 year old daughter.)  I used a package of mini-croissants from Aldi.  No use buying large, expensive croissants when you'll just break them up!  This recipe warms up nicely and could even be used as a dessert.  It's the fruit and eggs that make it breakfast-worthy.  :) 

Ingredients
  • 3 large croissants, cut up (about 5 to 5½ cups)
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
  • ⅔ cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup milk
Instructions

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Place croissant pieces in a 9 inch square pan. Sprinkle with blueberries.
    3. Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add milk, beating well after each addition. Pour evenly over croissant pieces. Let stand 20 minutes or soak overnight.
    4. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until set in center and golden brown. You may want to cover it with foil for the last 10 minutes if the tops are getting too browned.
    5. Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar.
    6. Variation: Instead of baking in a square pan bake individually. Place croissant pieces evenly in 10 (1/2-cup) ramekins; sprinkle with blueberries and pour cream cheese mixture evenly over croissant pieces. Let stand 20 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until set in center and golden brown.
Notes
This can easily be doubled in a 9X13 pan.  (Which is what I did)


I use baskets as often as possible.  Biscuits, butter, jam and baskets - nothing says "farm breakfast" louder!

A few years ago, I began making apple butter.  It was something my brother loved and I guess my husband had a liking for it, as well.  I never cared for it so, obviously, I never thought about making it!  I came across a recipe or two that looked easy enough and I had great success.  So, when I came across this recipe a few weeks ago for pumpkin butter, something I had never heard of, I was intrigued and challenged.  Again, this was a huge hit!  It makes quite a bit, so it will keep my large family satisfied for a time and it would make a great little gift for someone.

SLOW COOKER PUMPKIN BUTTER

PREP TIME
COOK TIME
TOTAL TIME
Author: 
Serves: 6.5 cups
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (29-oz.) can AND 1 (15-oz.) can Libby Pumpkin Puree (NOT Sweetened Pie Filling)
  • 2½ cups brown sugar
  • 2 cups apple juice
  • 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp. ground cloves
  • ⅛ tsp. ground ginger
  • dash of salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a 3-quart or larger slow cooker add all the ingredients and stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours, stirring once at the 4 hour mark.
  2. After the cooking time is complete add the pumpkin butter to a blender, add the lid on and pulse. It will be thick, and you may need to stop and stir the pumpkin butter in the blender to get it moving. Pulse until you have the desired puree.
  3. Cool in refrigerator. Serve cold.
  4. I put the extra pumpkin butter into canning jars, give as gifts, but I remind my friends that it needs to be refrigerated. Could also be put into the freezer.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

My favorite recipe for biscuits can be found at kenkatschke.com (no, I have no idea who this man is, but he makes some mean biscuits!)   If you follow the link, you will find it to be a sweet blueberry biscuit.  While I do make those, I have found that leaving off the glaze and leaving out the blueberries gives me some of the best biscuits I have ever had!
Note:  Do not, under any circumstances, use almond milk over cow's milk.  It makes for the toughest biscuit known to man.  And, it's doubly-embarrassing when you serve them to guests.  Don't ask me how I know.

Farm-House Biscuits 
(re-named by yours truly)

Ingredients:
2 Cups Flour 
1 Cup milk
1/3 Cup sugar
5 T of butter
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt


Directions: 
Freeze butter. Preheat oven to 450F. Mix salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder in a bowl and sift. Add the cold milk into dry ingredients and mix. As dough begins to form, use a cheese grater to grate your frozen butter evenly over dough. Fold dough, and knead… repeat until all butter is spread evenly throughout dough. (If dough is too sticky to handle, add ¼ Cup flour.)

Roll out dough. Cut out biscuits using a mason jar or cup.   Place on un-greased cookie sheet or cake pan. 

Place in oven and bake for about 7-12 minutes (until golden). Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave, and paint finished biscuits with pastry brush. 

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

May you enjoy these recipes - even if you don't get up super early in the morning.  We all know that breakfast is wonderful any time of day!
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments: