Saturday, April 1, 2017

Saturday Morning Coffee: April 1, 2017


What a week!  Got my blog going again with a new look and have enjoyed discussing the ministry of listening/counseling with you all.  We will continue the conversation next week.  But, for now, let's relax and be encouraged with some lighter, uplifting things!


Blessed be God, which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me.
-Psalm 66:20

Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name...my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
-Psalm 63:4-5

And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
-Colossians 3:14












Elisabeth Elliot has always been one of my heroes.  I used to listen to her on the radio and she always spoke with such grace and wisdom sprinkled with humor.  I have just discovered this gem and in it, Elisabeth makes clear the calling of womanhood.  While discussing marriage, singleness, career, education, husbands, etc., she keeps central the idea that we are to live according to God's Word and His calling on our lives.  A compilation of notes written to her daughter Valerie upon her engagement, the chapters are short and concise dealing with one issue at a time, but full of wisdom and profound thought. Wonderful for women of all ages and all stages of life.




We are inundated with "health" and fitness apps, blogs, instagram posts.  Every where we go we read or hear about what to eat and what not to eat.  Embrace your body; change your body.  The messages are mixed and overwhelming.  I am not trying to add another voice to the deafening crowd, but maybe this voice will stand out because it is different.  Sarah Berneche is a nutritionist who teaches intuitive eating.  Diets don't work.  All foods are acceptable.  Your body was made to give you hunger and full signals along with whatever else it needs.  We were designed to listen to those signals, but culture has desensitized us to them.  I've been greatly helped and encouraged through this blog.
(Not a Christian blog.)


photo courtesy of stuckonsweet.com

Recipe: Vanilla Scones
adapted from Stuck on Sweet

I recently ventured into the scary arena of scone making.  I'm not sure why I was so afraid of making scones because they really are not that difficult.  You just need to be sure not to over-bake - and have the perfect recipe.  And that perfect recipe is this recipe right here!

Vanilla Scones (makes 8)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed (I've used salted and it's fine)

Vanilla Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp water (may need more)
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract

1.  Preheat oven to 425-degrees and line a bakings sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside.
2.  In a mixer, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and granulated sugar.  Add cold cubed butter and mix on low-speed until course crumbs form* - careful not to over-mix.
3.  In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and vanilla then add it to the mixer and mix until dough comes together.  It will be crumbly.**
4.  If you want to add blueberries or chocolate chips, stir them in now.
5.  Flour a clean surface and kneed dough just a bit until it comes together.  Form it into a circle about one inch in thickness.  Use a knife, pizza cutter, or pastry cutter to cut scones into 8 wedges.  Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired (I don't).
6.  Bake for 10-14 minutes or until edges are slightly golden.  Remove from oven and cool.
7.  While scones are cooling, add all the glaze ingredients into a bowl and whisk - glaze will be slightly thick but should drizzle off a spoon.  Drizzle and/or spread onto scones and let stand a few minutes until glaze is set (if you can wait that long).

*I accidentally did not add the butter until after I added and mixed the wet ingredients with the dry.  I then added the butter and mixed.  It turned out fine...almost better.
**When you add butter last, the dough is not crumbly.

These take very little time to make and your family will adore you.  Truly.  And everyone needs a little adoration in their lives.  It goes well with scones.


I do hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  Keep drinking warm drinks, eat pastries, read a good book, laugh with your family, and enjoy some wonderful fellowship in church on Sunday.  I'll see you back here again Monday morning!


2 comments:

Laura Hargett said...

My mother found an old copy of Elizabeth Elliott's Let Me Be A Woman and gave it to me for my 20th birthday. It has been such a blessing to me, one of my most treasured books!

Victoria said...

Laura -
What a wonderful gift! So much wisdom and encouragement - especially in the culture in which we live that does not follow the godly call of womanhood.