Saturday, April 8, 2017

Saturday Morning Coffee: April 8, 2017

This week was Mission's Conference at our church.  Three nights of great preaching, introductions to mission fields and missionaries, bake sale auctions, food, fellowship and late nights.  Very late nights.  I missed last night as I had a migraine, which has left me feeling pretty wiped out.  So, any one else getting a late and slow start this beautiful Saturday morning?  Finally getting my cup of coffee at 1:00 pm!!!! No matter.  This is what Saturdays are supposed to be.


Back in January, I claimed the following verses for the year.  These are my New Year's resolutions.  I love reading them again every month...

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.

Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.

Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.

Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

Proverbs 4:23-27








I do not remember where I saw this book recommended, but it was in one of those lists of "must reads" on a blog somewhere.  Kind of like you are reading now.  I put in an order for several books at thriftbook.com and this was one of them.  Modern day women who are taking risks and giving all for the furthering of the gospel of Christ.  As an American Christian woman, I often forget that there are so many places in this world where women are beaten, forced to marry, disowned from their families and often killed - just for becoming a Christian.  The easy American Christianity in not the cross-bearing Christianity of the Bible which is so very real in most of the world.  These women are true heroes....and will accumulate so many more crowns in heaven than I can ever hope to receive.

Music: Soldier On

While attending a Christian high school, I sang in an all-girls group called the Sweet 16s.  We still have not idea why it was called that as we were not all 16 and there never were just 16 members.  Nonetheless, it was a group that was in existence for years and we ministered mostly in retirement homes and the like, as well as to our own home church.  During my junior and senior years, I sang next to Abigail.  She was always the quiet and graceful person I wanted to be.  As she was quiet and the fact that she stood on the side of my partially deaf ear, all I knew about her singing was that she could hit the high notes quite well.  A few years later when I was back in church visiting from college, Abby was singing with another group and she had a solo part.  I vividly remembering looking at my future mother-in-law who was sitting next to me in shock and asking her when she got that voice!   Ever since, Abby has been one of my favorite singers.  Through the years, she married another friend of mine, had 10 children (now expecting #11), and continued to write songs and sing to bless others.  She has several cds you may purchase at abigailmiller.com but her latest is "Soldier On."  As many of her children have wonderful voices, they are also a large part of this project.  The music will inspire you, encourage you, and bless your very soul.  You may purchase a cd or download the album right to your computer (which is what I did).  


Podcast:  Set Apart Girl

At one time I recommended the on-line magazine Set Apart Girl  This week, I found their fairly new podcast hosted by founder of Set Apart Girl, Leslie Ludy.  These 15-30 minute episodes are full of encouragement for women of all ages to live for Christ and to inspire others to live for Him, as well.  Check it out and let me know what you think.



I began making these cupcakes a couple of months ago and they have become a family favorite.  I baked these for our baked goods auction at our Mission's Conference last night and I believe they sold for $100.  So, rather than keep this secret to myself, I thought I would share so more people could share the joy.

The sisters suggest using your favorite chocolate cake recipe for the cupcake.  I use "my" double chocolate cake recipe - found on the Devil's Food Cake box from Aldi.  You probably know the one - it calls for a package of pudding mix and sour cream.  I add in chocolate chips.  It's the most moist chocolate cake recipe I have ever found.  

For the frosting:
(NOTE:  I add a bit more peanut butter than recommended in the recipe.  Add according to taste)

Well, I need to try to get something done today.  And so do you.  Loved sitting with you for a little bit, though.  I'll be back here on Monday and I hope you will join me!  Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.



SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

No comments: